Why so expensive, other options?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2023, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Why so expensive, other options?

Hi,

Vehicle: 2008 Audi Q7 Premium 4.2L BAR Engine

A bit of venting here but I am also curious why and any better options.

Not getting into the full story on my rebuild, but needless to say started this over a year ago. Noticed the cost of parts has been creeping upwards, but the one that is killing me is the piston rings and connecting rod bearings ???
I called Audi in Henderson, NV and spoke to Craig he said the piston ring set is one set of 3 rings for one piston and I would need 8 of them to cover the entire engine $1224 for a set of rings 😳, whaaat. This just seems crazy.

The cost for the bearings is for 1 piece or half, meaning I will need 16 to replace all 8 sets. Total cost $976. 😱

Even doing the work myself this is very cost prohibitive. Thought about reusing the old ones but have already honed/deglazed the block 150k miles and the old ones having 150,000 miles do not look great.

The pic below are the parts that cost $2200. This makes no sense to me when on most other vehicles you can purchase a set of connecting rod bearings for $100. Am I missing something??

Ed

Old Piston Rings & Connecting Rod Bearings $2200???? For replacements 🤬🤬🤬

Last edited by coedempsey; 06-11-2023 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Update Info
Old 03-23-2024, 10:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get rings from other brands. mahl, totalseal, hastings, etc. figure out size and shape you think might work the best and order them ebay, summit, jegs, etc. im at same checkpoint as you lol.
a car company's parts and design come to actualization usually because it WILL cost them less(putting it together fastest with just enough duribility to not come back for warranty claims). YOU can come up with a better combinations of rings, bearing materials, pistons, valves and newer surface technologies out there then Audi did or currently does.
they are just seals. experiment with whatever fits, compatible and does the purpose..... holds up to temps, pressures and still seals. Rings that fits and are gapped properly will get you at least running im sure.
dont be afraid to try stuff. its just physics

Last edited by glenbjackson; 03-23-2024 at 10:47 PM.
Old 03-24-2024, 01:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 38 Likes on 38 Posts

King bearings are about the best you can find. OEM are probably Glyco which are pretty good, Tri-metal of course. I've heard that King CR227XP fit most 4.2's on the Rod size, they fit my RS5 CFSA 4.2 even though they are only liste for the R8 4.2 & 5.2 (V10). I'd contact a tech rep at King and ask. He may need the OEM bearing specs though.
Old 03-24-2024, 09:52 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I appreciate everyone’s response. I do agree it’s just physics but I have heard a lot of story’s of something as simple as orings seals ordered from China leaking within 5K miles and that you should stick with the OEM components. I don’t mind experimenting but when I have so many thousands of dollars invested, I might second guess my work but don’t want to second guess the parts I use. If I have rebuilt more of these I might be more willing to experiment, but this is a 1st and I really would like to get it right. After I had written this last year I ended up ordering from an online website that has their base in the Czech Republic. I did not receive the Rings and bearings until later August , almost 3 months later, but I did finally get them and the cost was less than half. The next cheapest here in the US. I did not start rebuilding the engine till this past January and am now one or two weekends worth of work away from placing it back in the car. It has been a learning experience every step of the way. I would like to create a thread that explain all the ups and downs and pics of all the parts and respective part #’s which I feel is what wasted most of my time. I was going to attach a pic of where it stands as of today, but for some reason not able to pull a file off my phone. Will try when I’m more awake.

Thank you,

Ed
The following users liked this post:
glenbjackson (03-29-2024)