2.0 chip - void warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:54 AM
gjc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.0 chip - void warranty

Thinking of adding an APR or another kind of ECU chip to an '07 2.0T. Does Audi work with any companies in which chips will not void the engine warranty? I know APR has encryption which will not show itself in normal diagnostic service testing. More concerned with retail sale value than hurting the engine...
Old 02-25-2007, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: 2.0 chip - void warranty

listen dude by experience, if they wanna void your warrenty, they will. the computer can tell..dont listen to apr or any other chip out there..my b7 has 6000 miles on it and at the first oil change i had the apr chip with the stock feature(lets me "disable" the chip to be undetected)..the tech ran the computer(standard procedure) and told me that he can tell that the chip was installed..he told me that regulary people pay it no mind..they mostly look at if you exceded 130mph,overreved the car, or any malfuntion that the ecu wants to throw down..and to answer part two, no matter what your warranty will be voided even if audi does it or not..its the same chip that does the same features the rest of them do..
Old 03-01-2007, 01:04 PM

Just a question...but can't you delete some stuff from the memory with the APR chip?
Old 03-03-2007, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

correct! what the chip is designed to do is to delete(or surpass) the limiters,restrictors,and governers that the saftey computer has. by doing so it kind of tunes your car into duping maximum fuel for the amount of pedal your giving.(hence the whiplash you get the first time you drive the car with the engaged chip.)even thought it is nothing but a software, dealers can tell as easy as if you remove a sticker on a laptop,ipod,ect that contains a (warranty vioded if removed sticker)..
Old 04-05-2007, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

This is kind of depressing to hear.
Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

My question is this: Only enthusiasts will be dinking around with these chips right? I'd assume these same people are using forums like these. Why havent we heard more reports of people getting hosed by their dealers? While dealers may be able to see the "signs" that an ECU was installed is there any way they can actually confirm this?

Any APR officials want to step in and clarify this?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

my buddy that works at audi showed me the error code that popped up on the screen when i took it to him for my first oil change at 5k miles..its like a nnumerical error code with some other characters. i had the apr chip installed on mine. its there and will show up. im not an apr official but i was on top of clarifyong this rumor, but i wont stop here, you pass 135 and your warranty is done, you pass 6k rmps and your **** is done..dont beleive, then knock yourself out, my friend was amazed when he saw 167mph on that computer.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:53 PM

Yeah when ever a customer comes in and i perform a service i have to run faults depending on the service, but i can definately can tell if the car has been chipped.. I really don;t care since i am into performance tuning and what not. But all those chip makers are lying when they say their software is undetectable! Trust me, its all up to the tech that is working on your car whether or not he wants to be a d*ck and let his service manager know and void ur warranty
Old 05-10-2007, 11:49 PM

Its really very simple to check if the ecu has stock software installed or if its been modified. Just because you "disable" the chiped software does not mean that chiped software is not still present in the ecu. Its as simple as checking bit by bit to ensure only the stock data (program) is in the ecu when they do a diagnostic, as soon as they detect any data is changed thy know someone has chipped or tampered with the ecu somehow.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:12 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

And while anybody doing actual ECU programming could block or fake the tattltale codes, their attorneys would tell the that would be a very, very, dangerous idea from a product liability perspective.

Quick Reply: 2.0 chip - void warranty