Secondary Air pump....

Old 05-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Secondary Air pump....

I just had my car picked up by Road Side assistance on Monday.. The dealer's techs that are working on my A4 said I have a leak or something like that by the wheel well and water is in the Secondary Air pump??? It had a whistling and whiny sound from engine. ... NOW THE UPDATE... they replaced the pump and it blew out during testing... so... Now it is an issue with Engine they say. Anyone heard of this?? Its only a year old and 18K miles... very upsetting... miss my car...
Old 05-25-2007, 07:16 AM

There is no secondary air pump on the fsi cars.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:37 AM

Default Re: There is no secondary air pump on the fsi cars.

So what in the world is the dealer's tech talking about.. this is utter madness.. I ended up calling last night Audi of America and have a person contacting the dealer on this.. They are upset that I could go thru this with such a small amount of mileage.. yadya.. And will get to the bottom of this now.. Thanks for the input.. greatly appreciated...
Old 05-25-2007, 10:32 AM

Default FOLLOW UP TO Secondary Air pump SAGA!!!!!

So now I have been told its the Crank Case Breather Valve that went bad. Or something like this ( hard to understand thick accent). And it will be fixed today.. And that that broke the other part, the secondary air pump(injector). Audi of America called the dealer, after I spoke with them in regards to what the deal is and they said that there is indeed a secondary air pump(injector)... All I care is that it is covered under warranty, its fixed and I wont have to go back again... Thanks for all your opinions..
Old 05-25-2007, 10:48 AM

Default well at least its getting fixed... but there is DEFINITLY NOT a pump on that car

secondary air pumps are used to pump air onto the backsides of the injectors on cold starts to mix the extra fuel that is sprayed in to get the car running.

This works two fold in that you need the extra fuel on a cold start because without the heat the fuel drops out of the air. So in order to get enough into the combustion chamber you need to spray in extra fuel. This is very bad for the cat and can ruin them.. However the extra fuel gives the oppurtunity to mix with air after the combustion chamber and actually helps to preheat the cat. So the extra bad fuel mixed with air from the secondary air pump injected after the exhaust valves ends up helping with emissions..

That being said.. the FSI directly injects fuel into the combustion chamber right into the center of the incoming air.. There is no fuel dropping out of hte mixture because fuel never hits the cold intake manifold.

So the fsi engines don't need them.. nor do they have them... I was an audi tech till 3 weeks ago and own a 2.0T FSI myself.

The actual probably is basicaly the PCV system and they are probably confusing some of those parts involved in the sytem because one of them may be called a "pump" in the system. So its really just confusion on the service writers fault if anything.. Or he could jst be making crap up.. I have heard plenty of them just pull stuff out of their *** to talk over the customers head.
Old 05-25-2007, 11:13 AM

Default Re: well at least its getting fixed...

Thanks for your input. Will have to see what happens once I pick it up.. I will let you know the details on the service ticket when I get it... Thanks again.. hopefully this headache will be over and done with..