Massive Oil Leak after Oil Housing Replacement: 2008 A4

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2023, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Massive Oil Leak after Oil Housing Replacement: 2008 A4

Bought a 2008 A4 2.0 TSI that had a coolant leak and an oil leak. Took it to a shop and confirmed the coolant flange was leaking and told the oil housing was as well. Decided to repair both myself, which I did over the last couple weeks. Well, sort of. Coolant leak is gone but I did something terribly wrong in the oil housing repair such that within minutes of turning the car on, most of the 4+L of oil I'd just added was on the floor. I thought I was attentive when I put the hose back on the oil housing. I did have some trouble with the oil cooler bolts but the unit was tight and solid after bolting in. I did not put a gasket on the oil housing I installed because the videos I watched didn't mention it, and I'm not sure if the housing i bought (from ECS) came with it. Could that cause such a massive leak? Any ideas?
Old 11-13-2023, 08:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes you need gasket

A 2008 fwd A4 I think has the tfsi motor and gasket would look like this (from ECS)
Just go to ECS search Engine, Oiling System,,,, the gasket is sold separately .

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 11-13-2023 at 08:47 AM.
Old 11-13-2023, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks so much. Yes, thinking back through it, that's the only thing it could be. I'll get one.
Old 11-13-2023, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,616 Posts

There's "followed the workshop manual process", and there's not. You followed all the steps and torque specifications? "I did not put a gasket on the oil housing I installed"; I'm guessing not.
https://cardiagn.com/engine-2-0l-bpg-bwt-a4-2004-2009/
Page 205 of the PDF is where the relevant section starts. Wow, that's really different from the B8 2.0T. Appears that bracket has three different o-rings/gaskets, oil filter cap, to the block, and to the cooler.

A US MY08 A4 is a B7 A4 with the belt driven EA113 2.0T FSI engine BWT. Not to be confused with the chain driven EA888 2.0T FSI engine CAE introduced with the B8 A4 in MY09. "TSI" is a VW marketing term, TFSI is the Audi marketing term. Same thing as DSG, which is not applicable to any Audi, vs s-tronic, the actual Audi marketing term for DCT.
Old 11-16-2023, 07:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Forgive me, I'm new at this. A doctor trying to learn car repair. ..To follow up, it doesn't appear to be the gaskets. I took it all off and it was installed correctly and the gaskets were in place. One of the things that puzzled me when I took out the old housing is that it looked in pretty good shape. Both are below. The one on the right is the "new" one I just took out again. Oil appear to be coming from one "port" and it seems to be the same area on both the old housing and the new housing. Looking at the mating surface for these housings, could something be wrong with the connection to the engine block under the oil housing?

Old 11-16-2023, 08:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

And thenk you SMac770. I did have those diagrams but did not use a torque wrench. Will do that as I reinstall again. Just not sure I did anything wrong and wondering if there is another problem and it wasn't the oil housing. There is no oil above the housing and the leak does appear to come from the middle area on down. I'll clean up the mating surface and I have new gaskets to put on (though the old ones seem ok), and then try again. Maybe I didn't tighten the bolts properly and it just leaked from that.
Old 11-16-2023, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,903 Likes on 1,616 Posts

When it invokes gaskets and liquids, torque specs and torque order are not to be ignored. Over torquing can be as bad as under torquing. It appears the torque spec for the four bolts is 15 Nm? That's not a lot. The small 3/8" torque wrenches should accommodate that value. The oil cooler to oil filter bracket bolts are also 15 Nm.

There does not appear to be a torque order or torque stages. But I don't think it would be bad to do all four to 10 Nm first and then finish them to 15 Nm.

In the diagram and then on page "204", there's reference to some oil baffle. Just seemed interesting; I know jack about the EA113 or what that is or if it's in place on yours.

Wow, the pre-B8 workshop manuals hurt my brain.
The following users liked this post:
1stGOAT (11-21-2023)
Old 11-16-2023, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks again. Just got myself a torque wrench and will be very diligent. Hopefully it will go better this time! The leak I created was far worse than the one I was trying to repair.
Old 11-21-2023, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 95 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by EagleMD
Forgive me, I'm new at this. A doctor trying to learn car repair. ..To follow up, it doesn't appear to be the gaskets. I took it all off and it was installed correctly and the gaskets were in place. One of the things that puzzled me when I took out the old housing is that it looked in pretty good shape. Both are below. The one on the right is the "new" one I just took out again. Oil appear to be coming from one "port" and it seems to be the same area on both the old housing and the new housing. Looking at the mating surface for these housings, could something be wrong with the connection to the engine block under the oil housing?

As you are learning and as already mentioned, consulting the manual to understand any special procedure, need to replace some bolts which are one-time use, and how much torque to use is vitally important when working on car. We always tell eachother to RTFM which is true for many professions.

Also these oil housings are plastic and at 15 years of service common for them to get small crack that cause oil leaks so no matter if you have fresh properly tightened gasket they can still leak and just need to be replaced.

And be sure and clean off the mating surface on motor so it is clean and flat.

Last edited by 1stGOAT; 11-21-2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-21-2024, 04:02 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just replaced my Oil Filter Housing (original Genuine Audi of course) and I just hand-tighten all the bolts on both filter housing and oil-cooler until they can no longer go, key is not forcing them any further and all should be well as intended. I did the same for the rear Coolant Flange, Thermostat, et al. So far so good! But of course again I only use 'Genuine Audi Parts' so I've yet to run into any problems. Back to the oil filter housing; there are no additional seal gaskets other than the two front and back ones on the housing. Additional info and pics can be seen here.