High octane? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 04:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by quattrovant
My friend, one day you will be on your way home with your wife, have to pull your car off the side of the road, probably raining or -30 below and 100 miles from anywhere Sunday at midnight. You are f***ed, and the wife will tell you about it for a very long time. You later find out you put a hole in your piston or a valve that got stuck from the crud buildup from the lack of using higher tier gasolines. Too lengthy to explain here but when you get a mechanics bill for about $3-$5k for being cheap the wife will NEVER ever let you forget or maybe girlfriend and your friends will laugh there buns off at your expen$e. It is not worth the risk in my opinion.
Please don't say it won't happen to me, because it does happen and it is just a matter of when.......
Well, we'll see. I have more faith in modern engine management systems and I don't race my cars so I'm good with it.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Good luck

Last edited by quattrovant; 05-05-2011 at 10:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

i told my wife to put 93 in from shell sunoco exxon or mobil. she put in 87 and i am pissed.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jdwheel1
By the way, watch out for the "el cheapo" gas (including costco, bj's, etc). Often they do not have a good additive package and they scrimp on detergents leading to clogged fuel injectors over time. Stick to the name brands (they have reputations for quality and want to uphold them).
Incorrect. Many years ago I worked at a little no name, local c-store. The Amoco (now BP) across the street hated us. Why? Because as soon as the tanker truck filled up our tanks it drove across the street and filed up his tanks. He even tried to get the distributor to not fill our tanks on the same day so people wouldn't see the same gas going into our tanks as his.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jeff968
Well, we'll see. I have more faith in modern engine management systems and I don't race my cars so I'm good with it.
You're correct. All modern cars have sophisticated engine management systems and fuel delivery systems. If you decide to use 87 octane fuel, it is possible that the engine will experience knock (AKA detonation, ping, pre-ignition etc...) however, the knocks sensors will IMMEDIATELY retard ignition timing to eliminate the knock. So in reality, you may lose a little bit of ultimate performance (due to the retarded timing), but no damage will occur to the engine.

Most people just don't really understand how this works, so the standard forum response is to just use the recommended octane. Fact of the matter is that all car manufacturers know that there will always be some people who use the cheaper 87 octane fuel, so they have to ensure that no engine damage will occur since they have to warranty the drivetrain. Think about it...
Old 05-13-2011, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Beakerz

however, the knocks sensors will IMMEDIATELY retard ignition timing to eliminate the knock. So in reality, you may lose a little bit of ultimate performance (due to the retarded timing),

Retarded timing = reduced efficiency = reduced fuel economy = loss of perceived savings at the pump
Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 383 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Audimacrebel
Picking up a 2006 A4 2.0T tomorrow. The dealer told me 93 octane only! IS that really needed? I'm a brand new Audi owner so I'm learning as I go here.
FWIW, check you local Sunoco station. Our local station offers : 87, 89, 91 and 93. The 91 octane is priced quite a bit lower than the 93.

Good luck with the new car!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by uberwgn
Retarded timing = reduced efficiency = reduced fuel economy = loss of perceived savings at the pump
No...retarded timing = reduced performance, not reduced efficiency or fuel economy. That's a myth perpetuated by people who don't understand the relationship between knock sensors, ignition timing, and lower octane fuel.

Besides, the ONLY time the engine will experience retarded timing is when knock occurs. And with low octane fuel, the engine will only have the potential to knock under heavy load at wide open throttle. Considering the fact that is likely to be a very rare occurrance, I'd say that there should be zero concerns about reduced fuel economy even if what you are saying is true. Nobody drives around wide open throttle all the time...
Old 05-13-2011, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

How much performance is lost with low octane fuel?
Old 05-14-2011, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NateS5
How much performance is lost with low octane fuel?
It depends on how much the ignition timing is retarded by the ECU. If it is not retarded at all, no performance is lost. If it is retarded quite a bit (to eliminate knock), then the engine can typically lose up to 8 to 10 percent of it's peak horsepower. In most cases (but not all), the engine would have to be under wide open throttle in order to cause the ignition timing to be retarded and the engine to lose power. Keep in mind that once the knock is gone, the ignition timing will return back to normal and the engine will once again be making full power.

Last edited by Beakerz; 05-14-2011 at 04:54 AM.

Quick Reply: High octane? Really?