Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lubricant oil consumption / wasting

i have talk with my old colleague, who drive the A5 as well,
and he has the same issue, - the engine's oil consumption is 1 liter per 2000 - 3000 miles.

and that's a fact !!!

now AUDi try to make a new kind of cylinder's honing (with laser) it suppose to solve the problem,
but i also have one other, who still got the same problem with the new cylinders as well,

i have also read about somebody, who makes the special technology apply after purchase the car, and looks like it works well...

the wasting oil totally stopped, and wat even unexpected - the consumption of the fuel (diesel) reduced...

i guess if i put some data / source info about, they here will starts talk about "advertising," - so i simple don't...

Originally Posted by nToxEk8d
I totally agree with Mitchejc. Audi have dropped the ball on the oil consumption issue. And they have chosen to say it's within spec as a cop out.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2009 A4 Avant that I bought a year ago as a CPO. I just dropped it off at the dealer for new pistons and rings. It was burning 1.3 quarts per 1000 miles according to the service manager after then PCV TSB. (That TSB helped the consumption only slightly.)

I was searching this thread to see what results folks were experiencing after the piston / ring repair. I didn't see a clear result. I hope this means that it's working well.

Does anyone wish to share their results?

I'll post mine when I get the car back and have a chance to drive it some.
Old 12-30-2012, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just purchased 2 weeks ago a CPO 2010 A4 premium plus with sport package. It's auto trans, 6 gears. Never knew of the oil consumption issue. Of course my luck what a bummer. Couple questions. Is this consumption issue likely to occur? Or is it more of an exception?
And what should I do to keep an eye in this? Does the Display have an oil level meter? Additionally, the dealer gave me synthetic oil and the sticker shows next service (which I'm assuming includes the oil change) for 10k miles from now. Is that accurate? I know it's synthetic but still I'm used to every 3k oil changes. Also does the audi need to go to the dealer for oil change or am I able to bring it to any place...

Sorry for all the questions. Appreciate the help
Old 12-31-2012, 10:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm also a relatively new owner but I have been reading up on this issue here and other places. To answer you r questions:
1. The oil consumption issue seem to be a common issue, but still more the exception than the norm. I have only read about this happening on the 2.0T and not on the other motors. From what I have read elsewhere, it seems to be more common on 2009 and newer (B8) models, but I can't support that with facts, just opinions based on what I've read online.

2. To keep an eye on it, check the oil dipstick under the hood. If your model doesn't have one (some newer cars don't)check with your dealer if you can purchase a dipstick. Usually the slot for it is there, just plugged up. That was the case with a Mercedes C class I had. Don't trust any electronic gauge on the dash for oil level. Nothing is as accurate as looking at the dipstick.

3. Using synthetic oils, a 10,000 mile oil change interval is completely acceptable (especially if it is using a little and you have to add a quart or two in between). This car REQUIRES synthetic oils as does any turbocharged car that needs oil to lubricate the turbo. A conventional oil can not withstand the heat generated from a turbo engine and will break down very quickly. In theory, any place can change your oil but I personally do not trust the quick change places. (lengthy stories I can tell you from friends that had MAJOR problems from them and my son also used to work at one). Go to a reputable shop that you think you can trust to actually use the synthetic oil you are paying for, not conventional oil (while charging you for synthetic). I tend to do my own oil changes because it is relatively simple and I know I'm getting the oil and filter I am supposed to and it was done correctly, at less cost.
Hope this helps
Old 12-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by OKStriple
I'm also a relatively new owner but I have been reading up on this issue here and other places. To answer you r questions:
1. The oil consumption issue seem to be a common issue, but still more the exception than the norm. I have only read about this happening on the 2.0T and not on the other motors. From what I have read elsewhere, it seems to be more common on 2009 and newer (B8) models, but I can't support that with facts, just opinions based on what I've read online.

2. To keep an eye on it, check the oil dipstick under the hood. If your model doesn't have one (some newer cars don't)check with your dealer if you can purchase a dipstick. Usually the slot for it is there, just plugged up. That was the case with a Mercedes C class I had. Don't trust any electronic gauge on the dash for oil level. Nothing is as accurate as looking at the dipstick.

3. Using synthetic oils, a 10,000 mile oil change interval is completely acceptable (especially if it is using a little and you have to add a quart or two in between). This car REQUIRES synthetic oils as does any turbocharged car that needs oil to lubricate the turbo. A conventional oil can not withstand the heat generated from a turbo engine and will break down very quickly. In theory, any place can change your oil but I personally do not trust the quick change places. (lengthy stories I can tell you from friends that had MAJOR problems from them and my son also used to work at one). Go to a reputable shop that you think you can trust to actually use the synthetic oil you are paying for, not conventional oil (while charging you for synthetic). I tend to do my own oil changes because it is relatively simple and I know I'm getting the oil and filter I am supposed to and it was done correctly, at less cost.
Hope this helps
Great thanks. Related, my car just read " please drain oil" so of course I had zero dipstick. Brought it to dealer and they drained some oil since it was over filled. Good news was the service advisor made me feel comfortable that if I do have any consumption issue they'll fix it.
Old 12-31-2012, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default wasting engine oil fixed

ONCE IT STARTS, IT WILL A TROUBLE TO FIX IT...
but have find someone, who fix it by an other way,
and the result is here, - take a look -
!

Originally Posted by abarks
I have a 2009 A4 Avant that I bought a year ago as a CPO. I just dropped it off at the dealer for new pistons and rings. It was burning 1.3 quarts per 1000 miles according to the service manager after then PCV TSB. (That TSB helped the consumption only slightly.)

I was searching this thread to see what results folks were experiencing after the piston / ring repair. I didn't see a clear result. I hope this means that it's working well.

Does anyone wish to share their results?

I'll post mine when I get the car back and have a chance to drive it some.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I just got my car back from the dealer with new pistons, rings, rod bearings (I think. . . there are 8 of them according to the sheet), and pages of bolts, gaskets and seals. According to the sheet, they had to completely remove the engine. I can't imagine what this job would cost if you had to pay full dealer prices.

I thought they might be able to simply pull the head, remove the oil pan, and knock the pistons out of the block with it still in the car. I guess not.

In response to one of the posts above, my 2009 does not have a dipstick. You can see the oil level on one of the menus of the infotainment system. When the oil level gets a quart low, you get a warning on the dash.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful that the new pistons and rings will resolve (or significantly reduce) the consumption issue. I'll post some updates over the next few months.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default ENGINE OIL LOSING & WHITE SMOCK PROBLEM

actually you are damn lucky, it was on guaranty, -
i have few customers, who got it after and it really costs a lot !
even one Mercedes' owner, who has a guaranty, but must pay by himself, also very painful,

but to point:

losing oil is in every engine, only some of them it's not really matter, -
but somehow in AUDi - it's an issue.

Here we do have a case with an old engine and the "white smog" was the follow of the oil losing,
we have fix it with one special process without to open the engine, works over 2 years ( more then 30K km) just fine...

Here is the video just after the fixing the problem done:

Originally Posted by abarks
I just got my car back from the dealer with new pistons, rings, rod bearings (I think. . . there are 8 of them according to the sheet), and pages of bolts, gaskets and seals. According to the sheet, they had to completely remove the engine. I can't imagine what this job would cost if you had to pay full dealer prices.

I thought they might be able to simply pull the head, remove the oil pan, and knock the pistons out of the block with it still in the car. I guess not.

In response to one of the posts above, my 2009 does not have a dipstick. You can see the oil level on one of the menus of the infotainment system. When the oil level gets a quart low, you get a warning on the dash.

Needless to say, I'm hopeful that the new pistons and rings will resolve (or significantly reduce) the consumption issue. I'll post some updates over the next few months.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Quick update: With new pistons and rings, the car is showing no oil consumption after 1200 miles. Before the pistons and rings, it was burning a quart every few hundred miles. Now, the digital gauge still shows as completely full.

So far, so good.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Offer new engine to address excessive oil consumption

I bought my first Audi last year (CPO 2009 A4 cabriolet). A month after driving it, the low engine oil light came on. The dealer performed an oil consumption test and the car failed. They replaced the piston rings, which unfortunately did not address the problem. Several weeks later the low engine oil light came on. A second oil consumption test was performed, and the car failed a second time. Audi is now offering a new engine. I'm aware of a bad batch of piston rings that have plagued the 2009-2011 models but can't seem to find independent information about any changes made to the engine to make me feel confident that I won't have to deal with the excessive oil consumption again. I'd appreciate any links/information. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Excessive oil consumption with 2.0T engine