I need more power

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need more power

Lately, I'm not feeling the love on the 1.8tqm. It's a 2000 with 105k highway miles and MTM tuning- worth about 180hp or so, to the wheels.

Bought a wrx a while back and the wrx eats the audi alive! I was thinking about upgrading the turbo but the prices are staggering for these upgrades. Is it not possible to upgrade with, say a GT series turbo without dropping $5k? I mean, I can put down some serious power with minimal expense on the Subie, why should it be so difficult with the Audi or am I missing anything?

Any advice and input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I need more power

The cost isn't so much the turbo but related items, if you put a ko4 on your car without a free flowing exhaust, back pressure will cause detonation problems. to do this you need the turbo, 200 cell cats, exhaust, mtm III, 5 bar fpr, upgraded dv, and cooler plugs. Its pandoras box, once you open it, you have to keep going....then you will feel the love, and the wrx will feel unwanted.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:26 AM

Default Re: I need more power

Well, I understand the need to do basic upgrades so as to have a stable platform on which to add power but my concern is the cost. Is it really THAT expensive? I use my Audi as a DD and play with Grand Nationals as my fast cars. I can do stuff super cheap on those or my WRX but the Audi, while it has potential seems to be quite pricey to do anything to... I can't even find a reasonably sized (classified section) with parts for sale. The one on this board has like 20 items...

Can you tell me what all of the ancillary items should cost and where/how I can piece together a decent set-up???
Old 07-18-2007, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Look at the

APR and AWE websites. I would think that it would cost similar amounts to do the same things to the WRX.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM

Default Re: Look at the

I checked out the sites and they're talking $4-5k. My WRX is outfitted with some used/new parts (large turbo, New fuel rail, New injectors, used fuel pump, used larger TMIC) purchased on enthusiast boards such as this one and it all cost under $1k! I'm faster than an STI! I could go even more aggressive but there is currently no need as I'm generally untouchable

I'd really love to beef up my beloved A4 but I can't justify such an expense. Is there some place that I should be looking for decent used parts? Or are there none to be found.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Look at the

if you want to do it yourself and just want the parts call ringtec. they are a mtm dealer and will hook you up with what you need www.ringtecatlanta.com