bought 2003 A4 1.8t...read threads and scared sh$$less

Old 03-20-2007, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bought 2003 A4 1.8t...read threads and scared sh$$less

I am new to this forum, and after reading about the 1.8t engine problems, I am scared I made a very bad decision to buy a used 2003 A4 Quattro with 68k on it.

I seriously just bought this thing about a week ago. I bought it and already had to replace the coolant temp sensor because it was misfiring on start.

In my research for that problem I came across all these horror stories about timing belts, engine sludge, etc.

Should I turn around and sell this thing before something really bad happens?
Old 03-20-2007, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default coolant temp sensor is a regular maintenance item

use a quality syn oil and change it every 5k miles. Changed timing belt and tensioner every 60k miles.

Mine has 185K miles on it.

You bought an enthusiast car, expect higher maintenance costs. It that is not your cup of tea, sell it and get a Honda
Old 03-21-2007, 03:04 AM
Tech Guru

Received 106 Likes on 97 Posts

Yes. Sell it immediately.
Old 03-21-2007, 07:36 AM

Default Re: Yes. Sell it immediately.

I am really considering that option.

Could the 1.8t's really be that bad? Was it just the earlier models or are 2003's still prone to the timing belt and sludge issues?

I am covered under the CPO warranty. If the timing belt snapped before the 105k mile change interval, wouldn't the CPO warranty cover that?

Appreciate any advice.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 AM

Default How much of a DIYer are you? Most problems can be avoided with preventative maintenace.

It's my understanding that Audi will only cover the oil sludge problem if you show documentation that the oil was changed every 10k miles and an approved oil was used. The timing belt is just something that, as Ertman said, needs to be changed every 60k miles. Find a local indy shop that specializes in VW/Audi and have them do the T-Belt...just had mine done (on my TT) last week for $730. That's much cheaper than having to replace the whole engine if the T-Belt fails. However, I would assume that the CPO would cover the engine damage if the T-Belt failed before 105k miles...but I'm not sure. Call Audi and ask to know for sure.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:54 AM

Default Response to DIYer plus...oil on air induction pipe leading to turbo, is that normal?

I am a "DIYer" when I have the means. I don't have a garage (live in Condos) and my metric tool collection is limited. So, on my Audi I am not a DIYer.

Don't have maintenance records. Have a carfax with oil change history. Shows oil change every 3,000 miles up until its second owner at 30,000 miles and then no history between 30k and 68k. That's a big gap.

I had the car inspected before I bought it. Came out pretty clean, but I am a worried about the sludge and timing belt issue because of the cost for repairing the damage they can cause. I am also a little worried about a thin layer of oil that coats the outside of the air induction pipe leading to the turbo. It's on the 90 degree elbow part of the pipe that connects to the air induction. Mechanic says that's normal, but he's the dealer mechanic. Anyone know if that truly is normal?

I think I am just worried by all the "horror stories" i have read. I will probably have the timing belt replaced and have a thorough inspection done to find sludge. That should ease my fears.

The car is so cool to look at, and nice inside, and I really don't want to be afraid everytime I drive it.

Thanks for the advice...keep the responses coming.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 AM
Tech Guru

Default Seriously. You'd be very foolish to just drive it without changing the belt.

What is your commute like? 5 minutes? Sell the car? 30 minutes. Put on the larger oil filter, change oil frquently and with synthetic, and drive the car.
Old 03-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Tech Guru

Default Horror stories are from people who do not take care of their cars.

Do the belt, run the right oil, drive the car, forget about a sludge inspection. Enjoy the car.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Horror stories are from people who do not take care of their cars.

Appreciate your feedback.

I guess that's why I am so nervous. I am not sure how well the last owner took care of this car. I bought it from a small dealer and god knows if they are being upfront with me or not about its history.

The only sludge check I have done is to look under the oil filler cap and inside the hole, no apparent sludge from that, but that's not what I would call definite.

I am going to get the timing belt done, mostly for peace of mind. While they are doing that I'll see if there is anything they can do to check for sludge w/o adding too much in labor. Maybe just remove the head cover and drain the oil.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

oil film is normal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: bought 2003 A4 1.8t...read threads and scared sh$$less