All time low for 12 Valvers...There is a Thief among us. This is long...A 12ver robbed me last nite

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All time low for 12 Valvers...There is a Thief among us. This is long...A 12ver robbed me last nite

As many of you know my 12 was totalled a while back and I have been trying to sell my Mance RSXTB, hose kit, MAF and VS. Last week I had a guy come buy who said his name was Eddy (Ed Coleman) that he was a student at ketering Univ in Flint Michigan...about 15 min from where I live. He came buy and looked at the parts and we bull****ted for about a 1/2 hour. He said he drove a Silver A4 with coilovers and aftermarket wheels, He new about Mances parts and how rare they are...especially the RSXTB. After he left I noticed my house keys were miss placed...After going through the hole check the Freezer..your last pair of pants options I figured I had thrown them out with the trash or something stupid.

Unfortunately not...I came home last night after taking my girlfriend to the movies for her birthday to find my door open and About $5000.00 of stuff gone...Mostly high end electronics an expensive watch...And my dirty car parts...which to anyone else would be useless.

To have let someone in to my home, some one from here...a place that has be group of friends too me, I trusted. And then robbed me is beyond the frustration of having some one just steal your stuff.

This Post is mostly me venting but also for help, help from anyone that knows who may have had the capacity to do this. Here is what I know

The Name I was given was Ed (Eddy) Coleman

He Said he drove a Silver A4...Just broke he passanger rear view mirror cap.

He had no mance parts

He had coilovers

He lives in Michigan and Is a senior at Kettering University in Flint...Engineering major

These are the people that e-mailed me interested in ALL of the Mance parts (I am not tryin to finger anyone but for completness.

1.)GVEE (Erdin)
2.)Arron Baxter (Dont know AW name)
Arron was going to buy all the parts then the day before states he has finacial issues the wont allow him at this time
3.)Ed Coleman...The Keys Guys...Became interested the day after Arron Baxter backed out.

I have to say I don't know The new Members but find it interesting that

I think anyone here in my position would find this odd. The few last posts GVEE asks (anyone have a S3 MAF laying around) the day before I was robbed and 1 hour after I was robbed he Is asking (how to install a VS) and MAF his dad so happened to find. And he lives in michigan. If I'm off point I appoligize....

It is sad that this experience has tainted my trust and openess about the 12v forum.

I always loved Mances stuff...I guess you know you made it bigtime when people are willing to rob you for them.

Sorry to vent guys...all info is appreciated.

Aaron
Old 11-20-2007, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Man that sucks, I don't think your off point at all

too much of a coincidence to just let go..
I'd be visiting Kettering to see if I spot the car..

keep in mind these fools may be reading your posts, so don't tip them off too much
Old 11-20-2007, 09:20 AM

Default Re: All time low for 12 Valvers...There is a Thief among us. This is long...A 12ver robbed me last

Damn man that sucks I emailed you about the MAF a little while back. I've had a simaler experiance with a manifold/turbo set up and a buyer trying to get me to leave the parts outside so he could take a look... never came back when I said no.
Good luck in finding him it should'nt be to hard if you know his face/car
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Sadly...These things never get resolved...Just didn't want anyone else to have the same thing happen
Old 11-20-2007, 09:47 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saddens me to even have my name associated with a post like this...

But I'm no stranger to similar larceny and it's why I NEVER allow anyone I don't personally know come to my home when they want to see my "setup" or how I make things. I allowed that once over the internet and it cost me $2k. The sad part is the part he took wasn't useable without the part it was made to fit but it also meant I had to replace it or I couldn't use the remaining tool it was made for. Ironic and shameful.

I also suffer a bit of this every time someone steals a part I've spent countless hours designing and testing then starts making them for profit. Many want to place the blame of not filing for patent protection on me. But their naivete precludes them knowing a patent runs $20-$50k and takes 2 years if it's an "easy" one and most hover in the $40-$45k/4 year ballpark. Guess who pays for the cost of seeking a patent!?! They are quick to point out if I didn't want someone to steal it I should've protected myself. Had I done this on most parts my name is associated with many of them would not be available yet and their costs would be in the several thousand dollar price point instead of the several hundred dollar price range. Now how many would REALLY be interested in a "patented" or "patent-pending" XTB at $2k or an RS3MAF at $1,400!?! No one is gonna buy a MAF or TB at those prices! Get real!

Then there's the persons that sell their home-made/DIY product using the "exact" names I've attached to the parts I make. Sometimes they just say "XTB for sale" or "S3 hose kit for sale" sending the impression it's one of mine. Then when someone buys it and starts getting CELs guess who the buyer contacts? Yep, me! And guess who he's pissed-off at when I tell him he doesn't have one of my parts? Yep, me again. They never get mad at themselves for not asking the right questions when they bought it, or at the seller for "lying by omission", choosing instead to be mad at me thinking I'm shirking some fiduciary duty as the "alleged" manufacturer. This happens a handfull of times year in, year out. And it hasn't diminished or slowed in 5 years!! Of the 20-30 times I've been contacted about an issue with one of my induction parts in the last 5 years not even ONE has turned out to be one of my parts. Not ONCE!!!

I've never minded when people make their own parts based on something I did or am doing. In fact I've even told people publicly how to make the parts as nicely and efficiently as possible without having the CNC machines I use. I've never once complained about people making parts for themselves using my part as a model for their own use. It's the people that make them for profit based on my documented and proven items that I find fault with. Even more that they market those products under the same name or specifically tell their buyers; "this is one of Mance's parts." No one even has to mention a part was made by me. All he has to do is advertise an "S3 hose kit" or an "XTB, SXTB or RSXTB" to convey his part as a genuine "Mance-made" component without even saying it!! And it happens ALL the time!!

Filing for protection from such activity is expensive and a waste of time and money due to the exceedingly limited appeal of these parts and the age of the cars they're designed to enhance. And it only prevents "honest people" from stealing intellectual or personal property. But then like locks on doors "protection of property" only keeps honest people out. It doesnt keep crooks out. They've been stealing others property since the dawn of time and they will continue to do so.

Locks on doors, like certificates of patent will only keep "honest" people honest. Neither will stop a crook.

And lets face it, we have a microcosm of society here. Mostly honest but there ARE thieves among us. Always has been, always will be.

I hope the above-mentioned burglary is reported, investigated and prosecuted to the FULLEST extent of the law!!
Old 11-20-2007, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Like I've said before Mance, your parts are why my car was such a Joy to drive. Thank You!
Old 11-20-2007, 10:13 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default And thank you. It is truly a pleasure for me to both have made the parts...

and enjoy the stellar recognition I've received associated with the parts I made for these cars. I only wish it were under better, more idyllic circumstances we were sharing this sentiment.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default That is low! These are the times when you wish you were younger than 18

so you could go smash someone up real bad.

Albeit the info he gave you was probably all false =\
Old 11-20-2007, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default are you serious? damn dude, so sorry to hear!

I'd try getting in contact with the school for sure to see if he's truely a student there.

Did you file a police report (I'm guessing you did). Have 'em finger print the joint and see if they can bring any up as well... might be worth it.

This is truely a waste, and makes you really hate people. I had the same issue when one of my <refraining from using foul words> neighbors decided that I didn't need the wheels, intercooler or radiator from my house that were from my 4000 and parts 200. Never turned up, but I know who took it... just can't prove $hit... totally sux.
Old 11-20-2007, 11:09 AM

This sucks, hopefully he doesn't get away with it...

Quick Reply: All time low for 12 Valvers...There is a Thief among us. This is long...A 12ver robbed me last nite