S3 MAF - o-ring or not?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S3 MAF - o-ring or not?

Just got an S3 MAF housing. I've ran the car tonight and haven't noticed a difference, but I didn;t run it for very long.

Should I run with or without the o0ring? How many days should I give the ECU to get used to the MAF?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: S3 MAF - o-ring or not?

you should have disconnected the battery for like 20 or 30 mins then it takes about 50miles for the ecu so to say "re learn" you will start to feel it.. the o-rings are bassicly for fine tuning if you get a cel and its a code pertaining running rich or lean then you would have to get an o-ring not sure what size though like 9mm or 11mm o.d idk?
Old 03-30-2007, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default ok - i'll give it a few miles

I disconnected the battery for 40 minutes...
Old 03-31-2007, 03:42 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If it's the "real deal" S3 MAF housing there should be no trouble "feeling" it as...

the stock MAF is the single largest restriction in the intake tract of the 12V across all platforms. The S3MAF alone will provide more additional air than an XTB & 3" silicone hose kit with stock MAF combined! Tho the benefits of all 3 are greater than the sum total of each individual component. On the B4 chassis the airbox cold-air intake then becomes the bottleneck of the intake tract due to its very smallish (sub 2") inlet. On the B5 and C-chassis cars it's much less of an issue. An S3MAF is slighly more sensitive to and "should" use an o-ring for CEL prevention and better F/A ratios in the mid-range. The newer RS3 MAF, due to increased inclusive angular tapered walls makes the MAF less susceptable to throwing codes as it directs more air across the sensor stem. But even the RS3MAF enjoys better throttle response and F/A mixtures with the o-ring in place... just not as much as the old S3MAF did, especially in hot weather.

Secondly, if its a "real deal" S3 MAF it should've come with an o-ring. If that's the case I'm perfectly willing to send you a replacement if you didn't get one with yours. If, on the other hand, it's a DIY "S3 imitation" MAF housing you'll need to source one locally or online. 11mm O.D. x 9mm I.D.

Doesnt matter how many days or how long you have the S3MAF housing installed and connected to your ECU. It's a "drive/learn" ECU that isnt learning anything while the S3MAF is sitting in the car with the ignition on/off or idling. It requires 50-100 miles of (preferrably "city") driving to learn your driving style and to adapt to more air provided by the S3MAF based on your personal driving characteristics.

Hope this helps
Old 03-31-2007, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Volunteer Attorney Project One?

It's 5 am and my brain doesn't work right. What does it all mean? ;-)
Old 03-31-2007, 04:10 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default VintageAudiPerformance.com... I'm back as an advertiser again with a less...

inciteful screenname. Anything I can do to stay ahead of 20VT90q's proliferation of war.

In an effort to cool everyone's jets I thought I'd try a kinder/gentler, less provocative approach via the new name.

Oh, and "VAP" was already taken so... VAP1 got the nod.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default After a cup of coffee I'd have figured that one out!

Mr Velvet Gloves, I wish you the best of luck in this endeavor! :-)

By the way, I just went again through your picture poster. Now I have to go and pick up my jaw.
Old 03-31-2007, 04:43 AM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

I knew that! How many user acct#'s can be the same as the #1 convenience store on the planet!?!
Old 03-31-2007, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default In actuality people were getting "pissed" off because of your attitude/false claims, not your

screenname. It's the person behind the screenname that makes the personality, not the screenname itself.
Old 03-31-2007, 12:12 PM
VAP
AudiWorld Super User

Default look, you dont even belong here. Have no car that pertains to this forum...

and do nothing but go around starting little skirmishes. Let it go or I'll have it done for you.

Quick Reply: S3 MAF - o-ring or not?