Hey Mori! and anyone else wondering about Auto Rx

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Mori! and anyone else wondering about Auto Rx

I did the Auto Rx treatment per recommendation from Terry Dyson at the time of the first analysis. The treatment was done with two bottles of AutoRx and I have been doing the maintenance treatment of 4oz at each oil change. Here are the results of the latest oil analysis. This is the oil that was put in after the Auto Rx treatment was performed.

I am not sure what this tell you but I know there have been questions on this forum whether or not AR does anything. What would be the indicators that there was any improvement?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Document.pdf (300.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default since I cannot edit my post......

Originally Posted by Mr. Malcontent
I did the Auto Rx treatment per recommendation from Terry Dyson at the time of the first analysis. The treatment was done with two bottles of AutoRx and I have been doing the maintenance treatment of 4oz at each oil change. Here are the results of the latest oil analysis. This is the oil that was put in after the Auto Rx treatment was performed.

I am not sure what this tell you but I know there have been questions on this forum whether or not AR does anything. What would be the indicators that there was any improvement?
You may have gather this is not an analysis for an Audi 12V. It is for a Mercedes diesel engine
Old 04-28-2009, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I noticed that this was your Benz.

I can't tell from the UOA if ARX did anything. All I can tell you is the sudden increase in lead particles is unsettling. As Blackstone said, it seems to come from a bearing. You should consult Terry, as he is the expert.

The other "wear" metal numbers (iron, aluminium, copper, nickel, iron, tin) are too close to be significantly different from each other between oil changes. Whether there are 1 or 3 particles per million isn't of practical concern and statistically irrelevant. Be also advised that UOA only measures particles in a certain size range.

If ARX did anything, you may notice a smoother running engine, and possibly you may see less sludge under the valve cover. To really see evidence of ARX cleaning the piston rings, you would have to perform compression and leakdown tests before and after using ARX. Cleaner rings and grooves should manifest via improved compression and reduced leakdown.

I hope the lead number shows only temporarily increased wear due to a freak event (think detonation causing bushing wear etc) and not an indication of a bearing going bad.

I hope this helps!
Old 04-29-2009, 04:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I will re-sample at 3,00 miles and see where the lead is at. Your comment about detonation does make sense. In March I found that mt thermostat was bad and I replaced. Since the car did not heat up, the fuel preheater was not functioning. Cold diesel does not burn properly and if I did not let the car warm up long enough it sound like all hell was breaking lose under the hood.

The increased amount of fuel in the oil is also due to not burning properly. I am using the Otis Beaver fuel conditioner. Could that cause the lead to increase?

If the lead level is still high next time I will have Terry look at it. His fee has increased quite a bit so I cannot do it every time I send a sample in.

Do you think the lower insolubles would indicate the ARX cleaned things up?
Old 04-29-2009, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I would expect detonation to cause some extra bearing and bushing wear. If the high lead number drops, then you are probably in the clear. Good luck with your engine!

I have no idea if Otis Beaver conditioner can scavenge lead. Terry should know. His fee has indeed increased substantially. :-/

If insolubles decrease, then the engine shows improved combustion with less soot from incomplete combustion getting suspended in the oil.