Misfire germlin!! I need some serious help on this one!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Misfire germlin!! I need some serious help on this one!

here is the whole story:
Left for work this morning and the engine was just fine, went 2 miles and the engine started to misfire. Drove back home and swapped out the coils with some spares I had, no change in the condition.

Bought new NGK Laser platinums, installed no change.

removed all plugs did a compression check: cyl 1- 155lbs, Cyl 2- 165 lbs, cyl 3- 175 lbs, cyl 4- 175lbs everything good there.

Bought 4 new coils and installed, no change.

purchased diagnostic reader and these are the codes: P0300, P0302, P0352 an P0301.

I have the Bentley manual and don't have any better information. I am lost and don't know what else to do and I hate going to the local Audi dealer, at times I think I know more than they do and they rape me everytime I go in.

can any one help?
Old 09-17-2012, 04:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What year? Older AEB models with bolt on coils use a power stage for the coils that can go bad and cause misfires. Helps to add info about what kinda car you have...
Old 09-17-2012, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Dweikert
here is the whole story:
Left for work this morning and the engine was just fine, went 2 miles and the engine started to misfire. Drove back home and swapped out the coils with some spares I had, no change in the condition.

Bought new NGK Laser platinums, installed no change.

removed all plugs did a compression check: cyl 1- 155lbs, Cyl 2- 165 lbs, cyl 3- 175 lbs, cyl 4- 175lbs everything good there.

Bought 4 new coils and installed, no change.

purchased diagnostic reader and these are the codes: P0300, P0302, P0352 an P0301.

I have the Bentley manual and don't have any better information. I am lost and don't know what else to do and I hate going to the local Audi dealer, at times I think I know more than they do and they rape me everytime I go in.

can any one help?

Additional info:
I have a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with AMB engine. Hope this helps. I'm very new to these forums.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Dweikert
Additional info:
I have a 2004 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro with AMB engine. Hope this helps. I'm very new to these forums.
Man I hate to be the bear of bad ****ing news but I'm pretty sure that you mite have a warped or cracked head. Several other guys on the forums have had the same issues with the AMB head and I'm one of them. My issue was the same of yours but eventually it began to burn mad coolant. I got my head resurfaced cuz it was warped and after putting it back to gether my misfires started again after 1k miles and now its doing the same **** as before. Get a leakdown test done and keep looking at your coolant level man and best of luck.

(Just in case your wondering I have an 05 B6 AMB 1.8t with only 70k on it)
Old 09-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by alex.syed
Man I hate to be the bear of bad ****ing news but I'm pretty sure that you mite have a warped or cracked head. Several other guys on the forums have had the same issues with the AMB head and I'm one of them. My issue was the same of yours but eventually it began to burn mad coolant. I got my head resurfaced cuz it was warped and after putting it back to gether my misfires started again after 1k miles and now its doing the same **** as before. Get a leakdown test done and keep looking at your coolant level man and best of luck.

(Just in case your wondering I have an 05 B6 AMB 1.8t with only 70k on it)
If it does turn out to be your head try to pick up a AEB or something largeport off the forums.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

For months I was losing all sorts of coolant and had no leaks and it then the misfiring started. So in July I puled the head and found six cracks in it. I replaced the head, turbo, oxygen sensor, air flow meter, butterfly snsor, #2 fuel injector, the intake hose to the turbo and the sensor on that hose, thermostat housing and just about all of the coolant hoses.

Not much more to replace except for the engine!

I just pulled the fuel injectors again and cleaned them, they looked OK put it back together and still running rough. I just do get it.

Could the wiring harness to the coils be bad? If so, what or how do I check it?
Old 09-18-2012, 05:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Large vacuum or air leak, or fuel mixture being way off can cause missfires. Is it always the same couple cylinders or just all of them all the time??
Old 09-19-2012, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It seems to focus on cylinder #2, all of the codes I pulled pointed to #2, put the last code recorded pointed to cylinder #1