difference between 1.8t engines

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 05:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between 1.8t engines

what is the difference between 1.8t engines, 1.8t AWT and 1.8t AWM
i have to change my timing chain and tensioner on my 2001 A4 B5 1.8Tq and wonder if i can follow this guide on Passatworld
I have to change because it rattles on idle and leaking a little oil in that area and drips on my exhaust some times and smells like burnt oil.

Please help
Old 09-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

most 1.8ts of that generation are very much the same in terms of what you want to do (change the CCT). btw, I think you mean ATW engine code. AWT was installed in some european models.

it sounds like you have two problems. one is that the cam chain tensioner (CCT) seal is leaking, and the other is that you have a rattle at idle. For the first problem before you put in new CCT gasket and seal, make sure the PCV system is functioning properly.

For the second, and more serious problem, you should do an oil pressure test first. the CCT uses oil pressure to create enough tension on the chain, so if your engine is not able to deliver high enough oil pressure putting a new tensioner in won't fix the problem. The rattle from the CCT may be because of low oil pressure, worn CCT pads (in which case, you can just replace the pads), or because the CCT oil screen is clogged with debris (so, you will have localized low oil pressure, in which case, you could just clean that screen).

If your engine oil pressure is low, or you have worn CCT pads, you need to find out what the reason is. most often the oil pickup screen down in the oil pan gets clogged due to coked oil buildup, which is a sign that the engine was driven hard and neglected. It most often requires the pan to come off so you can clean it.

do an oil pressure test first, and take it from there before you buy a new CCT.
Old 09-09-2013, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I am from Norway in Europe so it is AWT engine.
I have already ordered it. test oil pressure after if it doesent fix it