S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Matt Ammon Memorial Track Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2006, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matt Ammon Memorial Track Weekend

To all,

I have had an overwhelming amount of friends offering to help make this event happen. I have Myself, Bauer, Gary, Jeff Mau and Kris Loveless (from our old Kansas City chapter), all willing to help make this the biggest, best, most remembered event. I have decided that a two day track event at Sears Point or Laguna Seca (both tracks Matt was hoping to come visit with the 944 he was hoping to get), would allow for midpoint destination on the West Coast.

In honor of his commitment to the community, his loyalty to the community, and my loyalty as a longtime friend to Matt, I would like to create a scholarship fund in his name with the proceeds from the event to help AudiWorld and Audi Club memebers both in High School, and College obtain their education while enjoying the love they shared with Matt, the Audi. I know Matt would consider this a great cause.

Matt was a huge advocate of me finishing my education and thus I transferred from the University of Kansas to Berkeley, and accepted a job at STaSIS. (I am not eligible for the scholarship.)

I will have more information to follow in the next week as I work with my friends to secure a venue, date, etc.

We were also planning to host a phenomenal banquet and auction to raise funds.

Sincerely,
Justin A. Green

PS Please leave me any comments or call me at 707-227-2403
Old 11-20-2006, 01:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm in. In a big way.

Just let me know what you need, Justin. This is my first post on AW after hearing about the news... something is definitely missing here in the B5 S4 forum. I know it's been especially tough on you and those members who had the opportunity to meet Matt outside the forum and be touched by his personality. I can't think of a better way for his legacy to live on than through an Audi track event at a world class track.
Old 11-20-2006, 01:59 PM

Default Just a thought J, while those tracks are GREAT tracks to have it at...

1. Cost is going to be an issue(maybe not so much Sears as that's Stasis' home track)
2. Scheduling...it's next to impossible to get track days at Laguna at a time when everyone could make it(same with Sears I'm sure) and I'm sure they are booked to the gills already
3. Easy access for those that may want to come down from Portland or WA

This is where I think(tho there is MUCH less to do there) Thunderhill would be perfect. It's a fun course, it's VERY easy access as it's off the I-5 in the middle so people from LA could come up, Bay Area, OR, and WA. Plus, you have to think of all the people that would come that haven't tracked. Laguna and Sears are very difficult for first timers. I will help in every way possible as you know, but there is a lot of work into planning one of these. It may be a good idea to contact Paul Ayers who has planned some of these and see his take as he may no already what times are open for the summer. If you don't have my number...916-601-2050 (Cell) Call anytime man. Just trying to think logically.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Thanks Gary...

how about we get together and brainstorm over beer one night next week. I am open to suggestions from the crowd. I will be talking to Ben also. I was hoping to somehow get one of the tracks to cut the cost down significantly, or get the Bill Gates foundation to cover the cost of track rental. Am starting to compose a letter now for this.

Sincerely,
Justin A. Green
Old 11-20-2006, 02:11 PM

Default Yeah man...I am in the process of planning a GTG on the 29th here in Sac for...

rememberance of Matt. Trying to do it the same day as the PacNW's. But their's may change and I don't want to keep changing the date on peeps. Feel free to come on by. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would like to meet ya. I know it's a drive, but it could give us a chance to chat.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Consider me in!
Old 11-20-2006, 02:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think the scholarship is a great idea. I would like to bring up one point, though

My guess is that the majority of students who are Audi owners are *not* on student loans and have their parents' full financial support for tuition. Clearly not everyone, but I'd guess the majority. In those instances, a scholarship really provides no benefit for the Audi enthusiast.

With that said, I'd think a fund that subsidizes track events for students would be easier to implement, is more logical imo for a group of Audi entusiasts to support, and would have an impact on a greater number of people. Tuition is very expensive these days & thus only a couple people might benefit, whereas $500 or so for a ACNA event + lodging etc could be used to make track events more accessible to many students.

While tuition money is often from mommy & daddy, students generally have a pretty meagre allowance/income that makes track events rather prohibitive.

Just my thoughts, thanks for listening.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I like that... technically it's still "education"
Old 11-20-2006, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Additionally: maybe you have to be a full-time student to qualify?
Old 11-20-2006, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think that is a great idea, and I think that certain requirements such as:...

being

1) a full-time student
2) a 3.0 GPA or higher

etc, etc would be great incentives that helped Matt get where he was.

Sincerely,

Justin A. Green

Quick Reply: Matt Ammon Memorial Track Weekend